Certified teachers in Louisiana may add-on additional certifications to their teaching certificate by completing requirements found in Bulletin 746: Louisiana Standards for State Certification of School Personnel.
Teachers must be enrolled in the University to be able to register for coursework towards add-on certification. Active enrollment can be achieved through applying as a graduate student to the non-degree Add-on Certification program. The decision to admit is based on having a valid teaching certificate.
The Graduate Handbook provides important information about how to register for classes, how advising works, etc. Students admitted to the Add-on Certification program are considered graduate students.
Add-on Certification Programs
- Adapted Physical Education
- All-Level (K-12) Area
- English as Second Language
- Middle School 4-8 Specialty Area
- Reading Specialist (Requires that you have a master's degree.)
- Secondary Specialty 6-12 Area (Core)
- Secondary Specialty 6-12 Area (Non-Core)
- School Librarian
- Teacher Leader Endorsement
Special Education Add-on Certification Programs
- Academically Gifted Education (Requires that you have a master's degree.)
- Early Interventionist Birth to Five
- Special Education Mild/Moderate (1-5)
- Special Education Mild/Moderate (4-8 and 6-12)
- Special Education Severe/Profound (Significant Disabilities)
- Education Diagnostician (Requires that you have a master's degree in an education area.)
Some certification areas have additional requirements beyond coursework. Requirements such as Praxis exam scores, proof of experience, etc. are sent to the Louisiana State Department of Education upon application for adding the certification to an existing teaching certificate.
Add-on enrollment status is not a degree program. Teachers who have prior coursework from other universities do not need to transfer coursework to Southeastern, but instead need to work with the Louisiana State Department of Education to confirm which courses from other universities meet specific certification requirements.
To apply for an add-on certification, you must have an exisiting teaching certificate. You will apply for a non-degree program as a graduate student. An add-on certification is not for those seeking an initial teacher certification (see the Alternative Certification page for initial certification information).
Please contact the Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Susan Zimlich at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.