World Languages and Cultures
While studying in the Department of World Languages and Cultures you have the opportunity to pursue a Bachelor of Arts in World Languages with concentrations in Dual Language, French, French Education, Spanish, and Spanish Education.
You will also gain exposure to Spanish, French, German, Italian, Latin and Chinese language, heritage, and culture. You dually have the opportunity to earn a certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL).
As a language major or minor, you will discover that our degree program offers an interdisciplinary and experiential curriculum that prepares you for careers requiring various linguistic and cultural skills needed in the contemporary job market.
We pride ourselves on our ability to provide students with learning opportunities that will guide them to:
- Communicate effectively in the target language while in academic, professional and social settings;
- Interact with authentic resources such as literature, film, art, and music from the target culture;
- Develop a detailed understanding of business practices, etiquette, cultural norms, history, customs, and values in the target culture;
- Use the target language and intercultural communication skills to collaborate with others to access information and resources from other cultures to solve problems and make decisions in a globalized world;
- Engage careers that require intercultural communication skills, such as business, education, communication, government, and healthcare.
For more information on our department feel free to contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
DEGREES & CURRICULUM
Attention alumni and supporters!
The Department would like to stay connected with you! Please fill out this form to join our email list!
Undergraduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
English 312: Advanced Grammar
English 414: Introduction to Linguistics
Communication 210: Communciating in the Classroom
Communication 410: Intercultural Communication
FLAN 401: Foreign Language Methodology
FLAN 404: Experiential Learning, Development, and Applciation
Click here more information
If you are interested in practicing a language outside of class, the University offers the FREE app Mango Languages, a language immersion experience available to all Southeastern students, faculty, and staff containing over 70 languages. Click here to sign up and begin using Mango or contact the Foreign Language Resource Center for more information!