All student workers should review the Student Worker Handbook.

Work-study is designed to give part-time employment to undergraduate and graduate students who need the income to help meet the costs of post-secondary education and other expenses. Southeastern is committed to offering students excellent training, including the opportunity to obtain hands-on experience through the work-study program.

Student workers should not be allowed to work more than a total of 25 hours per week while school is in session, or a total of 40 hours per week during breaks. This includes students working more than one work-study job. During the week of finals, students may work when they are not scheduled to be taking an exam. (Under no circumstance should student employees work in excess of 40 hours per week.) Student workers are not allowed to work when scheduled to be in class.


General Student Worker Eligibility

A student worker is an hourly employee who is currently enrolled at least half-time at Southeastern Louisiana University and participates in any work-study program offered by the University. The employment is temporary in nature and is incidental to the pursuit of an academic endeavor.

Students must meet the following general eligibility requirements before they could be considered for any work-study position.

  • Students must be eligible to work in the United States, and

  • Students must be currently enrolled at least half-time at Southeastern.


International Students

All International Students MUST be able to present the following identification and forms to the Human Resource Office:

  1. Driver’s License
  2. Social security card
  3. Passport
  4. Work permit from Office of International Studies, North Campus Classroom Building C112,showing eligibility to work.
  5. I-94
  6. I-20.
  7. Permanent Residency card, if applicable



Student workers under 18 years of age must do the following:

  1. Obtain an Intent to Hire form online or from the Work Study Office.

  2. Have the prospective employer fill out the Intent to Hire form.

  3. Bring the Intent to Hire form and a copy of your birth certificate to the Tangipahoa Parish School Board to receive an employment certificate.

  4. Bring copies of the employment certificate, birth certificate, social security card, and student ID, along with a completed Work Study Packet, to the Work Study Office.


Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study Program is a federally funded program that gives students the opportunity to work on and off campus. To work under the Federal Work-Study Program, students must meet the general student worker eligibility requirements as well as the following additional requirements:

  1. Receive a work-study award from the Financial Aid Office. (There is no guarantee that students will earn the total of their Federal Work-Study award.)

  2. Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the university.

Federal Work-Study students may work a maximum of 25 hours a week until they have earned their work-study award. Students may work up to 40 hours per week during university designated breaks and holidays.


State Work-Study

Any student who meets the general student worker eligibility requirements may work as a state student worker on campus.

The only difference between a state and federal student worker is that state student workers are paid out of the budget of the department in which they are employed while federal student workers are paid through their Federal Work Study award.


Community Service Work-Study

Community Service Work-Study is a program that offers students the chance to earn Federal Work-Study wages while helping a local nonprofit organization. These positions typically allow students to come in direct contact with the people they are serving.

This program is beneficial in that it offers students the opportunity to learn about the community in which they live, provide a much needed service, and earn work-study wages while gaining relevant work experience.

A Community Service Worker must have a Federal Work-Study award.

 Currently participating organizations:

  • Bogalusa Mental Health Center

  • Covington Head Start

  • Hammond Health Unit

  • Hammond Regional Arts Center

  • Special Olympics Louisiana (Hammond)

  • Springfield Head Start

  • Wesley Foundation at Southeastern Louisiana University

  • Hammond Area Recreation Department

  • Discovery - Family Resource Project (Baton Rouge)

  • Tangipahoa Alcohol & Drug Abuse Council (Hammond)

  • Southeastern Louisiana University Independent Living Skills Program


What is the America Reads Challenge?

The America Reads Challenge calls on America to support teachers and help ensure that every American child can read well and independently by the end of the third grade. You can play an important role in the America Reads Challenge by working with students who need help beyond the classroom to read well.

If you are a student at Southeastern, you may apply for Federal Work-Study and be paid to tutor. To be a paid tutor, you must have a Federal Work-Study award. In addition to the general requirements for Federal Work Study, America Reads tutors must have at least a 2.0 grade point average. Beginning freshmen must have an ACT score of at least 18.

Currently participating schools:

  • Hammond Jr. High (Hammond)

  • Southeastern Head Start (Hammond)

  • Holy Ghost Catholic School (Hammond)

  • St. Amant Academy (Hammond)

  • South Live Oak Elementary (Denham Springs)

  • North Live Oak Elementary (Denham Springs)

  • Midway Elementary (Natalbany)

  • SLU Lab School (Hammond)

  • Doyle Elementary (Livingston)

  • Bayou Woods Elementary (Slidell)


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for Federal Work-Study?

Federal Work Study is awarded to eligible students as part of Title IV Federal Financial Aid, and eligibility is need-based. To apply, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and fully complete the processing of your Title IV Federal Financial Aid at Southeastern. Federal Work Study is awarded to students on a first-come-first-serve basis to eligible students who obtain on campus student employment. Please contact to check eligibility. 

Since it is called work-study, does that mean I can study on the job?

The name is misleading. Student worker jobs have required tasks to be completed as designated by the employer. It is important to view the work-study job as a "real job" in which the employer requires work in exchange for wages. Therefore, we do not recommend that homework be completed while at work.

Can I work more than one work-study job?

Yes. However, both departments must pay you the same rate per hour.

How many hours can I work a week?

Student workers can work up to 25 hours per week during the semester and up to 40 hours per week during the holidays and other mid-semester breaks.

How will I be paid?

Student workers are paid bi-weekly. It is mandatory that you have your check direct deposited in the bank of your choice.

Do all work-study positions pay the same?

No. The hourly wage rate is determined by the department.