F-1 and J-1 Student Employment

On Campus Employment

Students on the F-1 visa are generally permitted to work on campus. The work is limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session or full time during official breaks and vacation periods. 

There are two types of student worker positions on campus - federal and state. International students who are here on a visa are only allowed to work under state student worker positions

To search for on campus positions, you may contact the Department you desire to work for or view available opportunities on the Student Employment Network

Once you have found a position, contact the Department supervisor for instructions on the hiring process. 

Once you have been hired, will then need to request an on campus Work Permit through the Online Student Request Form. We will then issue you a work permit for you to return to the Human Resources Office on North Campus, Building D, Room 101. 

**A new work permit will need to be requested each semester you intend to work**

A letter will also be issued for you to bring to the Social Security Office if you do not already have a Social Security Number. To request a letter for the Social Security Office, please use the Online Request Form.