The Office for Student Engagement is committed to student development and the promotion of student organizations. We feel that an important component of a student organization's development is the involvement of faculty and staff advisors. Please feel free to use the following resources to help guide you in your role as a faculty or staff advisor.
The Office for Student Engagementis committed to student development and the promotion of student organizations. We feel that an important component ofa student organization's development is the involvement of faculty and staff advisors.
Please feel free to use the following resources to help guide you in your role as a faculty or staff advisor.
Each student organization is required to have a faculty advisor who must be a member of the University’s faculty or staff. Graduate students may not serve as faculty advisors.
Advisor Agreement (Fall 2023 to Summer 2024)
Responsibilities of a Faculty Advisor:
1. Remain informed concerning the purposes and programs of the organization and provide advice on the planning and implementation of events and activities.
2. Be aware of all University policies and procedures regarding student organizations.
3. Meet with members, inter/national visitors, alumni advisors, Office for Student Engagement staff, etc. as necessary.
4. Assist in the promotion of scholarship.
5. Attend organizational meetings and events as needed.
6. Regularly meet with the organization officers to establish mutual understanding and expectations.
7. Evaluate projects, performance, and progress; serve as a resource and provide feedback to the officers of the organization.
8. Represent the organization and its interests to other faculty and staff.
9. Serve as a consistent link with the past and provide a historical perspective to assist the current leadership in accomplishing goals.
10. Approve or disapprove activities of the organization through the Registration of Activities process.
11. Contact the Office for Student Engagement if the organization could benefit from special guidance or programming.
12. Be present at designated social functions of the organization per the University policies and procedures or as required by the Dean of Students.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the Office for Student Engagement at 985-549-2120 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.