Soldier Saluting Flag

Frequently Asked Questions

How much does it cost to attend Southeastern?

Please visit our Tuition and Fees webpage to see the most current fee schedule which breaks down the cost of tuition, fees, ID fee, and textbooks.


Are there scholarships available?

Yes, there are many scholarships available to veterans, current service members, and their dependents that can be used in addition to VA funding:


How much does National Guard Tuition Exemption and Patriot Scholarship cover each semester?

Credit Hours     3       6       9       12     15     18
Tuition     722.15     1444.30     2166.45     2888.60     2888.60     2888.60
Patriot Scholarship     659.45     872.55     1085.45     1298.10     1391.10     1838.10
Total Covered     1381.60     2316.85     3251.90     4186.70     4279.70     4726.70


*Students will be responsible for paying the $18 ID fee, textbook rental fees, and any on-campus housing or meal plan fees.


How do I apply for GI Bill® benefits?

Students must apply online through the VA website. Please plan ahead when applying, as the application takes several weeks to process. If you are a dependent, and not a service member, be prepared to enter information about your family member whose service you are claiming benefits from.


What happens if I get mobilized for active duty training or a deployment?

Students who are currently serving in the armed forces who completely withdraw from the University in order to fulfill military duty for a period of service that exceeds 30 consecutive days shall be promptly readmitted to the University with the same academic status held before leaving. The leave of absence for military service cannot exceed 5 years. Students must promptly present a copy of their military orders to the Office of Military and Veteran Success, the office of the Dean of their college, and the Registar. Students who withdraw after the semester has already begun will be given a grade of incomplete and given the opportunity to complete the term after the military service is complete. For more information about this policy, please contact our office.


How much does Louisiana Title 29 waiver cover each semester?

Credit Hours     3       6       9       12     15     18
Tuition     722.15     1444.30     2166.45     2888.60     2888.60     2888.60
Mandatory Fees     659.45     872.55     1085.45     1298.10     1391.10     1838.10
Total Covered     1381.60     2316.85     3251.90     4186.70     4279.70     4726.70


*Students will be responsible for paying the $18 ID fee, textbook rental fees, and any on-campus housing or meal plan fees.


Will the military pay for me to get job credentials/licenses?

Yes, they will! If you are in the Army National Guard or Army Reserves, you can go to and request funding for credentialing assistance. The Army will pay up to $4,000 per year for you to get training and get licensed for things such as: Certified personal trainer, welding, crane operator, private pilot's license, project management, CompTIA, Human Resources professional, and hundreds more. Visit their website today to learn more. Contact if you need assistance applying for funding or finding a training program.


What happens after I apply for VA benefits?

When applying for benefits, allow the VA 30 days for your application to be processed. They will mail a certificate of eligibility (COE) to your home address. You must bring the certificate to our office in order to be considered for benefits and submit our Veterans Certification Request Form every semester that you are enrolled at Southeastern. 


Why do I have an "online withdrawal hold" on my account?

The OMVS places these holds on all military/dependent students accounts on the 2nd day of class each semester to prevent you from changing your class schedule (adding or dropping) without speaking with us first about the impact this change will have on your benefits. You could owe money to the VA or the University if you change your schedule after school starts. This hold will not prevent you from registering for classes for the next semester. It will only impact your currently enrolled classes for the current semester we are in. If you want to add or drop a class, please send us an email at and we will get you taken care of.


How do I check the status of my submitted application for GI Bill® benefits??

Call the GI Bill® hotline at 1-888-442-4551 Monday thru Friday from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM Central standard time. It usually takes at least 3 weeks for your certificate of eligibility (COE) to come in the mail. Please be patient and give yourself plenty of time before the semester starts when applying. You will need to give us a copy of the COE once you receive it. We have to have this document in order to process any of your benefits.


Can I receive college credit for my military training?

Yes, you can! You can download your Joint Services Transcript (JST) here.You may also go to the ACE Military Guide to learn what you may be given credit for. You must request an official copy be sent to Southeastern directly from the JST website in order to receive college credits for your military training. You may also obtain a copy of your transcript from the Community College of the Air Force if you are in the Air Force and then submit it to the University. The VA requires us to collect these transcripts because they do not want to pay for you to take a course that you could have already received credit for from military training. This will save you time and money in the long run.


I want to use my benefits again this semester. What do I do?

After registering for classes during the Priority Registration window, you must submit the Veterans Certification Request Form to the Office of Military and Veteran Success in-person or via email before the start of the upcoming semester. Please make sure you do this every semester so you do not experience an interruption of benefits. The best way to turn the VCR form in is to visit our office and complete the form on one of our printed copies.


Will the VA pay for me to take extra classes outside of my major?

No, the VA does not pay for courses that are not required for your degree plan. Courses must be either a prerequisite for your major/program or required for that major/program. However, the VA has a Round Out benefit that allows veterans and dependents to take courses out of their degree program if they are graduating within that semester in order to meet full-time enrollment requirements.


How do I verify my enrollment and how often should I do it?

You must verify your enrollment at the end of each month if you are receiving GI Bill® benefits through Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve) or Chapter 33 (Post 9/11). Call the GI Bill® hotline at 1-888-442-4551. Failure to verify enrollment will cause a delay in monthly payments. If you are using Post 9/11, you will receive a text message at the end of each month that you must respond to.


Can you help me a find a job?

Yes, we can! We have connections with several different resources that help students (and specifically veterans) find valuable employment. All of the services listed below are completely free. Here are some of our recommendations:


Does Southeastern have an ROTC program?

Yes, we do! Please visit the website for our ROTC program to learn more. We also have an incredible obstacle course on North Campus at the Rugby field. 


Can I apply for student financial aid while receiving VA benefits?

Yes, and you need to! You may be eligible for the Pell Grant or other financial aid that will reduce your out-of-pocket cost for schooling. You need to apply online by going to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) website. This application must be completed each school year in order to renew your eligibility. 


Will the VA pay for study abroad?

Yes, they will! Submit the Veterans Certification Request form like normal and be sure to tell our office that you are doing a study abroad.


How much money will I receive each month?

Education benefit payment rates vary depending on your benefit type, hours of enrollment, and length of term. Visit this website to see the current rates: GI Bill® Rates