How Do I Combine Class Sections?
Combining Class Sections in LEONet Student Administration System is a three step process. You must first make sure the class sections are created properly in the Schedule of Classes pages, then you must complete the Combined Sections Table page, and finally, complete the Identify Combined Sections page.
Step One: Review the Class Sections in Schedule of Classes pages
- Navigate to the class section in the Schedule of Classes pages: Curriculum Management > Schedule of Classes > Maintain Schedule of Classes
- Review the Meetings page for the class sections being combined in the Schedule of
- Make a note of the Class Number
- Make sure the meeting pattern and instructor information is entered correctly:
- The first class to be included in the class sections to be combined --this class always provides
the meeting pattern and instructor information. Don't forget to make a note of the
- Meetings-You will need to complete the information on the Meetings page for the first class ONLY!
- The Meetings page should NOT be completed for any other class that will be part of this combination.
- The second class in the class sections to be combined -- the second class section never provides the
meeting pattern or instructor information. These fields must be blank.
- LEONet Tip: You may combine more that two class sections if you desire. Just make sure that only the first class in the group indicates meeting pattern information and instructor information. These fields should be blank for all other classes to be included in the combination.
- On/Off Campus class combinations -- Please note, you cannot combine these class sections together because their room assignments are not the same. Generally, in these situations you will complete the Meetings panel for both classes, and the off campus class should indicate CV (for compressed video) in the Instructor Assignment Type field. This insures that the instructor receives the correct work load hours for the combined classes
- Review the Enrollment Control page for the class sections being combined in the Schedule of Classes pages. On this
page, you will review the Requested Room Capacity
and Enrollment Capacity fields:
- Requested Room Capacity -- Make sure that the Requested Room Capacity on the Enrollment Cntrl page is the same in both sections being combined.
- Enrollment Capacity -- The total of the Enrollment Capacity for all class sections being combined can not exceed the Requested Room Capacity. Review this information on the Enrollment Cntrl page for each of the class sections being combined, making sure that the total Enrollment Capacity from all the sections is not greater than the Requested Room Capacity.
Step Two: Complete the Combined Sections Table page
- Navigate to the Combined Sections Tables page: Curriculum Management > Combined Sections > Combined Sections Table
- Select the Term and the Session for the classes being combined. Click the Search button.
- The Combined Sections Table should appear.
- To add a row for your combined class, click the + button on the top row. The Combined Sections ID field should auto-populate with the correct number. You may want to make a note of this number for future reference.
- Key in the subject name and catalog number of the class sections to be combined in
the Description field.
- For example: ANTH405/505. You may further identify combined class setions by using a dash and assigning a section number (for example: ANTH405/505-01).
- Please note: the Short Description field will autopopulate once you click the Save button
Step Three: Complete the Identify Combined Sections page
- Click on View Combined Sections
- LEONet Tip: You may also navigate to the Combined Sections page at: Curriculum Management > Combined Sections > Identify Combined Sections.
- Check the Permanent Combination box.
- Key in the Requested Room Capacity.This should match the number indicated in the class sections being combined.
- Key in the Enrollment Capacity.
- This should equal the combined total enrollment capacity indicated on the Enrollment page in Schedule of Classes for each of the class sections being combined.
- For example: In the Combined Sections ANTH405/505-01, ANTH 405 has an enrollment capacity of 30, and ANTH 505 has an enrollment capacity of 10. The combined total enrollment capacity to be entered in the Enrollment Capacity field should be 40. (Please note: It is important that the Enrollment Capacity for the combined sections does not exceed the Requested Room Capacity, or the room may not be large enough to hold the students).
- Scroll to bottom of page and click the Save button.
- Key in the Class Number for the first class section you are combining in the Class Nbr field.
- Click the + button at the end of the row to add a new row for the second class section you wish to combine.
- Key in the Class Number in the Class Nbr field for the second class section you wish to combine. Repeat this procedure until you have listed all the class sections you wish to combine.
- Click the Save button. Your class sections are now combined.
If You Get an Error Message:
Generally, if you receive an error message, it is because the there is a problem with the class meeting pattern fields for the class sections being combined. To correct this:
- "Uncombine" the class sections in the Combined Sections page. Click the - button at the end of the row to delete the class section from the Combined Sections page.
- Repeat this until all class sections have been removed from the table.
- Click the Save button.
- Return to the Schedule of Classes Meetings page and make sure the class meeting patterns for the first class section is correctly entered.
- Review the Schedule of Classes Meetings page for each additional class section, making sure that the class meeting patterns are blank. If you have completed the Meetings panel on the second class section, click the Delete Row button located about the start/end date to delete this information. (You cannot just delete the information in the field. You must click the Delete Row button.)
- Return to the Identify Combined Sections page and re-enter the class sections and save.